The Imperfect perfection project.
This collection is about reconstructing a certain mood in a visual way and creating a whole new image. Breaking the balanced visual, and attempt to rebuild, evolve, and innovate the existed beauty is my main concept. For my inspiration development, I tried to reconstruct the moods that were recognized as beautiful for me. I ripped them, cut them and fold them, and I started to add elements in order to make my ideal perfection out of the imperfection.
With adding pleats on to the ripped surface and edges, I also tried to reach a balance of cleanness and rawness. The combination of two extreme could be my solution of creating the ultimate imperfect beauty, so I further experiment more on this subject later on. Breaking the frame of “perfection”, and rebuild the perfection from “imperfection”.
Press + to get a larger view.
I try to experiment the process of breaking the balanced image and rebuild, innovate them in order to evolve the existed perfection. I reconstruct the visual that I recognized as beautiful and well balanced, and get inspired by the process.
Later on, I tried to express my ideas with fabric. I started with choosing my materials. I picked a great variety of fabrics, including organza, suede, leather, wool suit fabric, vinyl, satin, cotton, faux fur and so on to create different possibilities. I first create geometric shapes, and combine them together to create a balanced shape. I then inserted pleats, ribbons, and raw edges to evolve it. Through the experiments of textile, I managed to observe the combination of shapes and color.
With the textile experiments I had, I started to experiments the possibilities of different silhouette. I put the fabric samples onto model, observed shapes on human bodies, and designed more detail. I also tried more combination of colors and shapes at this phase.
According my previous experiments on shapes, colors, and textures, I started to make some samples with muslin. I made bigger textile samples and tried to put them onto human bodies to observe the changes of shapes. I then came out with 3 designs after the fitting According my previous experiments on shapes, colors, and textures, I started to make some samples with muslin. I made bigger textile samples and tried to put them onto human bodies to observe the changes of shapes. I then came out with 3 designs after the fitting process.
I used photo shop to put my texture swatches onto models and print them out to draw. I came out with 6 pieces of fashion illustration.
I made 3 looks for my final outcome of this collection. A dress, a top with wrap skirt, and a crop top with pleated pants.